Newhouse would be able to operate as efficiently and effectively without the generous support of individual volunteers and volunteer groups who visit the shelter each month. Highly skilled or not so skilled volunteers are welcome.
Currently, we are seeking on-site individuals to help with the following:
– Sort donations of gently used clothing, shoes, accessories, personal care items and daily needs.
– General upkeep of the facility: outdoor grounds clean-up, indoor organization of storage spaces, painting of common area and resident’s rooms. Often there are special projects that require skilled labor, please call for more details.
– Advocates to answer the 24-hour HOTLINE, training provided
– Serve meals, assist in the kitchen
– Office support, general administration
– Holiday Store set up, shopping assistants, gift wrappers, and clean-up. Dates & hours TBD
Interested in volunteering at a fundraising event? We have several events each year and need many helpers to make them successful! Our next event, Saturday, Nov. 18 at the InterContinental Hotel (Country Club Plaza), House Party 2017: Dreaming of a Bright Future will feature celebrity guest speaker Robin Givens, author, actress and domestic violence survivor. We have need for volunteers to fulfill the following duties:
– Registration check-in/check-out using laptops, training provided the day of prior to the event.
– Mobile bid assistants to help guests place bids for silent auction items, training provided and required to attend the week before the event.
– Raffle ticket and wine pull sales using mobile devices.
– Auction monitors to display items, answer questions and present winners with their items
– Other attendants as needed.
To learn how you or your company, group can impact the lives of those living at the shelter, email our Community Engagement Coordinator or call 816-474-6446 X225. Please allow for at least one month’s notice when scheduling group volunteer activities.
Sign up to receive e-mail requests for volunteers.